If you would like to start page numbering on page 3 of a Microsoft Office Word document, you need to split up your manuscript, or thesis into sections. The following steps provide you with screenshots to lead you through the process.
Step 1: Separate your MS Word document into sections
In order to insert page numbers from page 3 onwards, you need to split up your document into sections.
- Set the cursor to the end of the text on the second page.
- Click on the tab named “Layout”. You will find the button “Breaks” and “Section Breaks” in the drop-down list. Chose “Next Page”.
- Now go to page 3 and open the footer. The tab “Design” will appear in the menu.
- Deactivate the option “Link To Previous”.
Step 2: Insert page numbers
- Put the cursor in the footer of page 3, go to the tab “Insert” and click on the button “Page Number”. Choose your preferred design.
- By default, MS Word inserts page number 3. If you want to start page numbering with 1, proceed with the following steps.
- Click on “Format Page Numbers” in the drop-down menu of the button “Page Number”.
- Choose “Start at” and insert the page number you want to start at.
If you want to start page numbering on page 2 follow the instructions and set the cursor to the end of the text on the first page.